What is Apps4Learning?
Apps4Learning is an innovative program adopted from a similar program run by TechU.me in Ottawa, Ontario. Apps4Learning provides students with the opportunity to cross-collaborate on an initiative to build educational apps that complement the school curriculum. High school students collaborate with elementary school students to develop, design, and create an app that is curriculum based. The elementary students are the clients who create the app idea, company name, and logo; the high school students do the app development and programming.
Throughout the semester, volunteer mentors from the Waterloo Region visit the high school class they are working with to help them through the product development cycle.
This program is made possible through support from SAP Labs Canada.
What is the purpose and outcomes of this program?
Apps4Learning learning goals include:
- An increase in students digital technical skills and information processing skills
- Development of critical thinking, communication, collaboration and creative thinking skills
- Better prepared youth for the digital economy
- A direct link with industry and education through continued partnerships
- Support in the development of 21st century learning skills
- Career empowerment
Here's what a mentor who has participated in the Apps4Learning Program had to say:
Apps4Learning allows students to explore a real world career path in tech. Through just a few shorts months, I saw some students who had no concept of app development or managing clients deal with the hardships of product development, software lifecycle, and meeting deadline. I think these are skills that any student will be glad to pick up. These are skills that any employer going forward will desire and they are part of the key skills to success in life.
Mentor, Apps4Learning Program
How can you participate?
- If you are a teacher of an elementary class (grades 5 & 6) or a high school Computer Science or CommTech class (grades 11 & 12), then please contact your school board rep below:
- If you are a App Developer and would like to mentor a high school class in this program, please contact us!